Introduction

Welcome! My name is Daniel Lim Jhao Jian. Here is where I share my experience, knowledge and ideas. You are welcome to leave comments and follow my blog. You are free to copy anything from this blog. Please recommend this blog to your friends.


Friday, 2 December 2016

27 October 2016 Incident

The 3rd year of my MBBS course at NUMed consisted of 3 parts, the System-based Weeks, followed by the Hospital-based Weeks and then the Essential Junior Rotations.

During the System-based Weeks, I was in the group CG 3. But on a wider sense, I was in CG 1 to 4. CG 1 to 4 was the collection of the 4 groups of students who were allocated the Batu Pahat hospital. All of us in CG 1 to 4 went to Batu Pahat together, stayed in the same hotel and we often had outings together. But during the teaching sessions, it was just CG 3 & 4.

27 October 2016 was the last day of the System-based Weeks. When we were on the journey back from Batu Pahat to NUMed, my best friend sat at the back of the bus and surrounding him were a few students from CG 3 & 4. He was talking to them happily and obviously they had a very close relationship. Looking at that, I felt envy.

I started thinking, why my best friend was so close to them while I was not? Then, I realised something - I was being antisocial. In the past, I was once quite antisocial during my early days in Taylor's College. It was the incident on 31 July 2013 that brought me much closer to my Taylor's College friends, and since then I was no longer antisocial. Unfortunately, I just repeated the same mistake during the System-based Weeks.

(Read about the 31 July 2013 incident here: http://daniellimjj.blogspot.com/2014/06/31-july-2013-important-day-for-me.html )

Before 3rd year, I had known many students in CG 1 & 2. My best friend in NUMed happened to be in CG 3 with me and I was glad about this. However, I did not know the other students in CG 3 & 4. At the start of the System-based Weeks, I naturally became close to those in CG 1 & 2. However, I did not attempt to get to know my CG 3 & 4 group mates, so I was not close to them.

As time went on, nothing has changed. I kept staying in my comfort zone by talking only to my friends in CG 1 & 2. I hardly talked to my CG 3 & 4 group mates (apart from my best friend of course), even though they are actually quite nice. Whenever I was with CG 1 to 4, I talked a lot and I seemed to be quite sociable. But whenever I was with just CG 3 & 4, I became very quiet and antisocial.

This was not the case for my best friend. He too did not know any of our CG 3 & 4 group mates earlier. But the difference was that he took the step to get to know them. Soon, he became very close to them and they liked him a lot. For sure, if I was willing to get out of my comfort zone, I too could have a good relationship with them. No doubt, without that I still enjoyed the System-based Weeks very much, but I was missing something that I shouldn't have missed.

I really regretted the mistake of being antisocial during the System-based Weeks. I should have gone forward to get to know and be friends with my CG 3 & 4 group mates. Sadly, I could no longer correct the mistake, because for the Hospital-based Weeks, we were all redistributed into different groups, so I was separated with my CG 3 & 4 group mates.

Soon after I started Hospital-based Weeks, I heard of rumours that the grouping for the Essential Junior Rotations would be the same as that of the System-based Weeks. I felt quite hopeful about that and I told myself that if I could be ever in the same group with my CG 3 & 4 group mates again, I would definitely put in my effort to build a good relationship with all of them.

On 2 December 2016, the group list for the Essential Junior Rotations was released. The Essential Junior Rotations grouping was largely based on that for the System-based Weeks. However, there were changes in the grouping for a few students, and unfortunately I was one of them. While most of my CG 1 to 4 group mates were allocated to Group 1, I was allocated to Group 2 instead. 

I requested the lecturer in charge to switch me to Group 1. Unfortunately, the lecturer said that it was not possible to switch groups because the grouping had already been finalised. Therefore, I could not be in the same group with my CG 3 & 4 group mates, so I once again lost the opportunity to correct the mistake and it is likely that I will never get to correct it.

This is definitely something that I feel very sad and regret. Since then, I always remind myself not to repeat the same mistake in the future. After the Essential Junior Rotations started, I put in my efforts to get to know every one in Group 2. Soon, I had a close relationship with them, even though I didn't know many of them previously. As a result, I really liked Group 2 and I had a great time during the Essential Junior Rotations. I am glad that I learnt a valuable lesson from that incident.

If you liked this story, you may want to read this too:
http://daniellimjj.blogspot.com/2017/08/bonding-vs-comfort-zone.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel, I accepted Numed offer and going to join numed this sep. What would you advise me to do during this long holiday till sep that could make my life easier perhaps a lil in numed(though it's impossible)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An important part of the 1st and 2nd year MBBS syallabus is anatomy, and it is quite difficult, so you may want to read up on some basic human anatomy. Also, it is useful for you to revise on Biology topics related to human that you learnt during pre-U, because you will be studying that again during MBBS.

      However, I wouldn't recommend you to study too much now. Instead, you should really enjoy yourself during this holiday, because after starting MBBS at NUMed, there won't be a lot of breaks (apart from the long break at the end of 1st and 2nd year).

      Delete